Content

Retro Recipes...Old Fashioned Cornbread Dressing

Monday, November 19, 2012





Old fashioned cornbread dressing? Yes please!

This has got to be my favorite recipe for Thanksgiving dressing ever. I remember my first attempt at cooking a whole Thanksgiving dinner. It was pretty much a disaster save for this dish. I really wanted to make a dressing that was like my grandmother's. I tore through every cookbook I had with no luck. Every recipe was more gourmet than "down home". By some lucky chance, I happened to find this recipe reprinted in our local newspaper's Thanksgiving section. It's been a part of my much improved Thanksgiving menu ever since. It's simple, adaptable, and "omfg I ate it all" good. Enjoy :)



Grandmother's Favorite Dressing 

by Ann Criswell, former Houston Chronicle Food Editor

   1  quart day-old bread crumbs
   1  quart crumbled corn bread
   1  quart crumbled biscuits
   1  cup chopped onion (including about  1/4 cup chopped green
      onions with tops)
   1  cup chopped celery
   1/4  cup finely chopped fresh parsley
   1 1/2  teaspoons sage
   1  teaspoon salt
   1/4  teaspoon pepper
   2  to 4 cups (or more if needed) defatted turkey or chicken broth
   1/2  cup melted butter or margarine
   2  eggs, slightly beaten

      Combine all ingredients except broth, butter and eggs. Toss
well. Add broth, butter and eggs. Mix well, but lightly. Mixture
should be extra moist. Loosely stuff neck and body cavities of turkey, or for ease in
preparation and serving, cook separately in a well-greased baking
dish or casserole during the last 45 minutes of turkey roasting time.
   Blend stuffing from turkey with that baked separately before
serving. Makes 11 to 12 cups.
  Cook separately in a well-greased baking dish or casserole during the last 45 minutes of turkey roasting time.

Quick tips:
For my dressing, I use chicken broth and butter, not margarine. I also add a bit more celery. Aaand, I don't stuff my turkey, I bake it in a seperate dish. Remember, this is a delicious dressing on it's own, but it's a perfect base. You can add sliced mushroom,  browned sausage, giblets, boiled eggs, oysters, etc.

0 comments:

Post a Comment